Two new vacancies have arisen with a Suffolk local authority. Start date is asap.
1. The Legal and Democratic Services Manager is a new post which the council are permanently recruiting to but requires an interim / locum for the next 3-6 months for a minimum of 4 days a week. The job description is below. The successful candidate will be expected to lead the transition from the current structure to the formation of the Legal and Democratic Services unit.
2. The Special Projects Lawyer will need to have a good understanding of local government and an ability to lead and advise on the creation of alternative delivery structures (joint ventures, local authority trading companies, shared services) and governance matters. They will need to be able to act as the Council’s “intelligent client” in relation to external specialist legal advice and to support decision making both at the Council and in its alternative delivery vehicles. It is not clear how long this role is going to last for.
Job description for the first post as follows:
1. To develop, co-ordinate, implement and review the annual Operational Plan for the Service, incorporating the Council’s risk management procedures.
2. To lead and develop operational area employees, exercising delegated powers as appropriate and those authorised by the Head of Service. To manage and supervise employees in accordance with Human Resources policies and procedures and management competencies including a positive duty to promote diversity and equal opportunities.
3. To be responsible and accountable for the operational areas budget/s including monitoring and reporting and the preparation of estimates as required by the Head of Service and in accordance with the Council’s financial procedures.
4. To identify, coordinate and promote new and innovative opportunities to develop the service for the future including alternative methods of service delivery, external funding and partnership working.
5. Contribute to the development and implementation of corporate projects and policies.
Main Operational Duties:
1. To lead and manage the provision of legal advice and services to the council, representing the council in major cases and public inquiries as required including securing external advice, and advocacy as appropriate.
2. To lead and manage the provision of an efficient and effective committee support function ensuring effective decision making and that statutory timelines are met.
3. To lead and manage the civic, information governance and land charges functions ensuring efficient and effective operation.
4. To personally provide legal advice/expertise in specific areas and providing advice to Executive, Council and Committees as required.
5. To deputise for the Head of Law and Governance as appropriate and specifically to provide advice and support to Councillors, senior managers on governance matters.
6. To be responsible for managing the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) requirements of the post holder and all service team members to ensure that the team members are aware of new developments, local and national issues, case law and relevant legislation including the maintaining comprehensive CPD records for all staff.
7. To manage and co-ordinate the day to day management of public petitions including vetting for relevance and lawfulness.
If you are interested and the post(s) are relevant please let me know.
Consultant dealing: Jonathan Fagan
Date posted: 10th October 2016